Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Five most common scams

Rizal Philippines  |  September 9, 2014



Repost from PC world articles

The five most common on line scams are the following:

1.  Pishing.

    The scammer tries to get your account # especially if its a credit card or ATM number by pretending the sender of the article that the bank is asking for an update or confirmation

2.  Auction fraud or non existing on line store.

     They ask for pay pal or credit card payments and you get nothing  Some China sites are like this, and you can not have any remedy.

3.  Nigerian scam

    "I am a bank manager and I have client with x million of funds in escheat, and I wish we can help her."

  " I am the son of the royal prince and  I found out that he has x zillions deposited in Swiss account, and I wonder if we can be partners for this and I will give you x% percentage of the loot if you help me?"

    These used to be letters and now the variation is email.

4.  The reshipping re fund transfer.

     Beware, the goods could be narcs or money for laundering.  

5. The winning of lottery or free gifts in a lottery that you are not aware you joined.

(Let me add that in our country, the load transfer scam is very common.   "If you text this secret code to this number, you will get a 30% discount on your next bill. The sender sends you the thread of numbers which turns out to be pasa load to him (from  50 pesos to a few hundred pesos which you lose) and then you do not get the promised 30% discount.   Hu hu hu




No comments:

Post a Comment